Wednesday, October 3, 2012

The TRUST check up!


As a young girl I experienced several painful procedures at the dentist. As a result my fear of the dentist carried over into my adult years. I’m missing two teeth now because of that fear. Recently I noticed a tingle in my mouth alerting me that I may have a cavity; the tooth causing the pain is very near the front of my mouth so losing it was not an option. I realized I would have to go to the dentist.
Immediately fear took a hold of me.  All I could remember as a young girl crying girl in the dentist chair in pain. In the past I have had panic attacks outside the dentist office, this time I didn’t want that to happen. My sister had visited a dentist she said was very gentle so I made an appointment with him.
Two weeks prior to my visit I began to really pray to be delivered from the fear that was trying to overtake me and cause me not to go. I have been to several dentists and they all seemed really annoyed by the fact that I was so afraid. None of them had been sensitive to the past hurt I had experienced. This played a major factor in my continued fear.
When I arrived at the new dentist office and as a result of prayer, I was calmer than I have ever been. The dental assistant was nice and very caring about how I was feeling. She seemed to understand rather than be irritated at how nervous I was. When the dentist arrived, he saw I was quite nervous and asked me to trust him just a little. He said he knew I couldn’t trust him a lot because I didn’t know him yet.  His words made me relax which got me thinking about the importance of trust.
Similar to my trust issues where dentist is concerned, I am sure many have trust issues when it comes to their own past hurts. Harboring pain will cause you to walk in fear; this can hinder you for having productive and happy relationships. Because of distrust that lingers in your heart, you may not be open to someone who does not want to and will not hurt you.
It may make you flinch just to think about allowing someone new into your heart.  Just like he numbed my mouth in order, “to work on me,” you may need to numb your feelings to forget about how you were hurt in the past in order to allow someone to “work on you.”  However in the end he was a good dentist I know that it was the prayers I prayed that got me though the procedure.  Ultimately though I was having trouble trusting this new dentist, I didn’t have an issue trusting GOD!  Psalms 56:3-4 says, “When I am afraid, I put my trust in you. In God whose word I praise, in God I trust; I shall not be afraid. What can flesh do to me?”
So remember the next time you are fearful of a situation, relationship or circumstance, to put your trust in God for He is the only one who can deliver you and bring real peace.
Think about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment