Thursday, September 27, 2012

Treasure today...Tomorrow is not promised!

-->
In the last few months I have been to several funerals or as we like to call them “home-goings.” This caused me to really reflect on my life and my Christian walk. I begin to think about how so many days I may go without really taking time to just appreciate what I have. I know I’m not alone in this. Often times we get busy working, “churching” and entertaining ourselves that we forget mediating or praying. We may get caught up in having church so much that we forget to be the church, to witness and spread the gospel in an effort to win others to Christ.
                In Luke Chapter 12:13-21 is the parable of the “Rich Fool.” Jesus shares the story with a crowd of people and warns them to beware of covetousness. He goes on to tell them about a rich man who had such a great harvest in his fields that he decided to tear down his barns and build bigger ones to hold it all.  In verse 19 the rich man is quoted as saying “And I will say to my soul, “Soul you have many goods laid up for many years; take your ease; eat drink and be merry.”
                There is an unexpected turn of events in verse 20 that states, “But God said to him, ‘Fool!  This night your soul shall be required of you; then whose will those things be which you have provided?” That sounds like some people I know. They are so busy storing up earthly “treasures”- money, fame and power -that they forget about their souls. Have you ever heard the saying “you can’t take it with you?” 
                I’m not saying that money, fame, and power are evil by any means.  I am saying we should not be so overcome with the desire for these things that we forget to commit ourselves and our souls to The Heavenly Father. Because if you really treasure your soul, you will make sure that it has an eternal resting place of peace and not torment.
                We should not wait and go through life thinking we have time to make the necessary changes “tomorrow” because tomorrow is not guaranteed. In verse 20 Jesus says, “So is he who lays up treasure for himself and is not rich toward God,” meaning we could end up like the rich fool if we take today for granted thinking we have time to repent tomorrow.  We should enjoy as well as treasure life and success, let us also make sure we treasure our souls and remember that tomorrow is not promised.
Think about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment