Friday, September 21, 2012

"What's your Status?"


Millions of us have Twitter and Facebook pages. I venture to say that if you don’t have one you could be considered “old fashioned” or “out of touch” with the times. I’m not calling you that, IJS (and if you don’t know what that means, you have just proven my point) LOL. Sorry I couldn’t resist.
Daily a countless number of people all over the world log on to social networks to chat or reconnect with long lost friends and relatives. They make new friends and sometimes even business connections. I use Facebook, I know there are many ills about the site and I am careful what I post.
I know many deem social networks and online communities as solely “evil” or frown upon Christians and people in general for using them. But I politely beg to differ.  “Yes,” many use these sites as gossip pools and places to vent their feelings or ill wishes towards others. However, that’s not the case with everyone.
I cannot tell you how many times I have logged on to Facebook and have seen a post that encouraged my heart.  Don’t get me wrong, Facebook is not my god in any way. I do not serve it more faithfully or frequently than I do my God, but I do not take its power for granted either.
Through Facebook I have shared and enjoyed stories from people that I would not otherwise see or hear from. Recently someone used it as a vehicle to let me know how my articles in this very newspaper have been a help to them in their Christian walk.  And though it’s not “okay” many people use social media more than they pick up their Bibles.
Sometimes they go days without looking into God’s word for themselves; however, they peruse Facebook every day. If they are my friends chances are they’ll find a daily meditation scripture waiting for them in my status. “Yes”, there are often offensive pictures and language on these sites; however you have the power to “delete” or “unfriend” anyone who offends you.
The Bible is clear in, Matthew 5:30, “And if your right hand causes you to sin, cut it off and cast it from you; for it is more profitable for you that one of your members perish, than for your whole body to be cast into hell.” So if anyone’s actions are causing you to waver in doing what is right, or if Facebook as a whole is causing you to waver, cut it off!
I’ll take it even further and say this to “non-social media users,” your status is still on display! If you are known as a gossiper or you are constantly running with a crowd of “friends” who are up to no good, people see - as does God. Instead of frowning upon those of us who use social networks, take the time to remember that whether you “post” it or not, your “status” speaks volume about you. Let those volumes be read as positive Christ-like characteristics.
Think about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment