Tuesday, February 19, 2013

"TWISTED"



Sometimes the smallest unexpected things can turn your day upside down.  I am a stickler for being on time! Recently I was preparing to host a couple’s dinner at my church and I was pressed for time. The guests were soon to arrive and I still had about three tasks to attend to before I would be free to greet them. While finishing my tasks, I needed some string to tie around the top of a few prizes.
 
The only string I could find was really thin, but since I was pressed for time, I had to make it work. I quickly grabbed it and headed to the prize table. As I began preparing the prizes, some of the string got twisted up. Knowing my guests would be walking in any moment, my frustration mounted as I tried desperately to untwist the string.
I began frantically yanking on the twisted string and guess what happened, it got worse! Frustration turned into panic and hurriedly I continued to try to untwist the string to no avail. Mind you it was twisted not knotted, but as I continued to yank, it was becoming knotted. And suddenly I heard a voice say, “slow down, take your time and it will work out.” So I took a deep breath and stopped for a second. I closed my eyes and refocused my mind. When I opened my eyes, I looked down at the twisted string then calmly, patiently began to take my time and untwist it. Before I knew it, I was done. I finished my tasks and was ready for the event to begin on time.
So what’s the point of my sharing this story? Well it’s simple. That twisted string really threw me for a loop just like twisted circumstances in life can.  There may come times when you just don’t expect things to get all “twisted up,” but they do. It is at those times we must call on inner strength and patience. Sometimes we just need to stop and refocus on what’s going on and allow the Holy Spirit to speak to us. He can bring calm and peace in the middle of twisted situations.  Often times we allow troubles in life to make us become so frustrated and distracted that we forget to calm down and look to Christ for peace.
In John 14:27 Jesus says, “Peace I leave with you, My peace I give to you; not as the world gives do I give to you. Let not your heart be troubled, neither let it be afraid.”
So the next time your life feels all “twisted up,” look to Jesus for Divine strength and peace!

Think about it!

No comments:

Post a Comment