Monday, February 25, 2013

"The SWEETEST Praise"



Early one cool, breezy Tuesday morning I was headed to work. As soon as my children and I got into the car, my favorite song came pouring sweetly out of the radio. The song is called “Awesome” by Pastor Charles Jenkins and the Fellowship Chicago Choir. The song begins “My God is awesome, He can move mountains, keep me in the valley, hide me from the rain.” I love this song because it reverences God in all His awesomeness.
As we drove along, I sang along with the song like I do every time I hear it. Hearing my next favorite line, “Our God is awesome, Savior of the whole world, giver of salvation, by His strips I am healed, My God is awesome, today I am forgiven, His grace is why I’m living, praise His holy name,” brought a smile to my face. My soul and my heart sang along with my lips.
Then I heard a little voice in the back seat singing along as well. My three-year-old daughter was singing along with the choir, “He’s mighty, He’s mighty, He’s mighty, awesome, awesome.”
It touched my heart and brought tears to my eyes just to hear that she had memorized the song and was singing praises to the Lord.  Then I began to think; if hearing her sing and praise touched me this way, what affect was it having on God?  Before I left the house, I had looked for a scripture to use as my daily meditation. I didn’t find one that really stuck out to me. After hearing my baby sing so sweetly like that, a scripture immediately came to mind- Psalms 150:6 (NKJV) “Let everything that has breathe praise the Lord. Praise the Lord!”
I looked up the word praise in my Bible’s concordance and found the perfect scripture for that day’s meditation- Psalms 147:1 (NJKV) “Praise the Lord! For it is good to sing praises to our God; for it is pleasant and praise is beautiful.”
So the next time you are feeling low or things just don’t seem quite right in your world, take time out to sing praises to God, even if you have to make up your own song.  Better yet, when things are going well and your mind is consumed with worldly cares and concerns, take the time out to sing God’s praises, because He loves that.  Psalms 22:3 (KJV) says, “But thou art holy, O thou that inhabits the praises of Israel.” Think about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment