Thursday, December 6, 2012

Mirror Image!


One of the first things people want to know when they hear a birth announcement is, “Who does the baby look like?” Parents often quarrel about whose eyes, nose, or smile the baby has.  Relatives and friends debate over their opinion on which parent the baby like the most.
When my youngest daughter was born everyone declared that they saw only her father and none of me in her. I begged to differ and searched for a picture of myself as a baby. Once I found one I was able to prove that in fact my baby girl looks a lot like me.
Recently a friend of mine posted a picture of himself as a child alongside a picture of his son at the same age.  (picture shown) It is almost shocking to me how much the little boy looks like his father at the same age. I found myself looking for differences in the pictures and having a hard time finding them.  They appear to practically be a mirror image of each other.
Looking at the pictures made me think about Genesis 1:26a.-27 which say, “Then God said, “Let us make man in Our image, according to Our likeness.” “So God created man in His image; in the image of God He created him; male and female He created them.
Would you look at yourself in the mirror and see something on your face like crumbs and just leave them there all day for everyone else to see? Or would you look into your child’s face and see a scratch or something on their face that didn’t need to be there and just leave it? Of course not!
Then when God looks at us He fully expects to see His image. What does this mean? Do you think God’s image is that of a murderer, liar or hater? Do you think God’s image is the same as one who hold grudges, curses others or sows discord among their peers? Again I say, of course not!
Just as we parents are proud to say of our children; “he looks just like me,” or “she got that from me,” God desires to see Himself in His children.
So the next time you look at yourself in your “spiritual mirror,” make sure you see the image of your heavenly Father looking a back at you!

Think about it!

2 comments: