Monday, December 17, 2012

"Don't do it yourself!"

There are countless numbers of DIY networks, blogs, and magazines circulating today. When it comes to just about anything, a Google search can teach you how to “do it yourself.”
From mixing a weight-loss smoothie to restoring a classic car, you can pretty much figure out how to save money and just “do it yourself” by using Google and other internet search engines. I have to admit, if I can avoid spending money unnecessarily, I will. If I can figure out how to do something myself or Google it, I usually do - especially if I can avoid driving all over town only to arrive at the store and either not find what I need or have to wait forever. Remember we are a “microwave society” so to speak, and I don’t think I’m the only one guilty of being impatient. Often times we choose to do things ourselves simply because we don’t want to wait for someone else to do it, even if waiting means we get it done better than we can “do it ourselves.”
However, there are some things we should not venture into doing ourselves. For example, I wouldn’t recommend trying to do surgery on oneself; that’s what doctors are for. Some things need to be left to the professionals.
In the same respect, some situations in our lives can only be handled and corrected by the ultimate problem-solving professional…Jesus Christ. No matter how knowledgeable we may be or how many degrees we may obtain, there are just some things that only God can handle. Psalms 121:1 says, “I will lift my eyes to the hills from whence comes my help? My help comes from the Lord, who made heaven and earth.”
Don’t you think someone who was intelligent enough to create heaven and earth is well equipped to handle your situations? Need more proof? Matthew 6:30 says, “Now if God so clothes the grass of the field, which today is and tomorrow is thrown into the oven, will He not much more clothe you, o you of little faith?” Just like we have faith in Google to have the answer to our most searing questions, we must trust God a thousand times more. After all He created us and no one knows us better than He does.
So the next time you are looking to solve your own problem, stop before “doing it yourself” makes it worse.
Don’t do it yourself; trust in The Expert.
Think about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment