Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Turning the page



I am an avid reader. I really enjoy a good book. You may be surprised to learn that I do not own a Nook or Kindle Fire. I do not have an Android phone that I can download books on; and though I own a tablet, I do not have books downloaded on it either. I’m an old fashioned girl; I still like the smell of a new book. I still like the feel of a hard back cover in my hands and the prospect of turning pages.

The theme for my church this year is “Determined to move forward collectively.” When I think about this and the study we did in Philippians chapter three, it makes me think of reading a book. One of our focus scripture is verse 13 which says, “Brethren I do not count myself to have apprehended; but one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind and reaching forward to those things which are ahead.”
Every book lover knows that in order to fully enjoy a book, you need a few simple things that can also apply to our Christian walk, forgetting the past and moving forward in the New Year!  
1.       Desire: in order to really enjoy a book, you must desire to read it. Have you ever been assigned a book to read and that alone killed your desire to enjoy it?
2.       Time: in order to get pleasure from your read, you need time to actually sit down and read.
3.       Patience: in order to finish a book, you need patience to finish it, as well as, be patient enough not to skip ahead.
These three book-reading principles apply to new beginnings in our lives. In order to accomplish any goals you have set for yourself in 2013 you will need desire to see them through, time to make them happen, and patience to wait on results and not try to skip ahead. So as you venture forward in 2013 turning the pages of your life, don’t allow your past to dictate your future and be determined to obtain your prize this year whatever that may be.

Think about it!

No comments:

Post a Comment