Tuesday, January 8, 2013

Let's eat it all!!



How many of us know someone who will grab a bag of mixed nuts and pick through it, eating all of them, leaving only the cashews? When you and your family order pizza does anyone leave the crust behind? As a child did your mother constantly reprimand you for refusing to eat your peas, spinach or any other green “disgusting” food?
My three- year-old has to be one of the pickiest eaters on the planet! Recently however, she has cooperated and tried new foods after my many attempts to broaden the horizons of her taste buds.
We may not realize it but often times when it comes to the word of God, many of us are “picky eaters.”  We attend church on a regular basis only to pick and choose what we actually receive. Now, let me be clear, you should only eat at a table (church) where the word is spread in fullness, holiness and truth.
I wouldn’t tell you to receive from a hypocrite preacher any more than I would tell you to eat off a dirty plate! However there are some who declare that all preachers are hypocrites to justify their poor diet. Woe unto any who refuse to receive God’s word when it is declared by one of His chosen servants.
If you think I’m “off my rocker” with all my “eating” analogies when it comes to the word I do have a scripture to back me up.  In Matthew 4:4 Jesus Himself is quoted saying, “It is written, Man shall not live by bread alone, but by every word that proceeds from the mouth of God.”
It safe to say that if food sustains us in life and if Jesus Himself said that we need more than natural food to live, then we need to consume or receive the “bread” or Word of God.  
Jesus further solidifies His point in John 6:35 where He says, “I am the bread of life, He who comes to Me shall never hunger, and he who believes in Me shall never thirst.”
So let’s remember the next time we pull up a seat at the table (go to church), when the plate is set before us, (the word of God), we should say grace (be thankful) and eat it all (receive God’s proclaimed word).
Think about it.



No comments:

Post a Comment