Tuesday, July 24, 2012

"What's in a Name?"

The inspiration for this article came to me while I was watching Oprah Winfrey interview magician David Copperfield. During their conversation Oprah mentioned to David that the Library of Congress has placed his name on the list of legends. David seemed surprised and taken aback by this information. Oprah went on to ask him how he felt about his name being deemed legendary. His response was very humble. He simply said he didn’t see it that way. This statement surprised Oprah as much as it did me. With a stunned look on her face, Oprah said “But it’s your name! David Cooperfield, will go down in history for our generation as the name of a legend forever, I don’t think you get you!” Quickly David responded, “Well I’ll let you feel that way and I will continue to just try and inspire people to do better.” I was pleasantly surprised. In a world where everyone wants to make a name for themselves, one of the most famous people on the planet was not impressed by his name being deemed legendary. He seemed humbled and un-phased by the news. Here’s what happened next that really made me write this article. My oldest daughter was watching the show with me and as soon as Oprah broke the news to David about how legendary his name is, my daughter meekly said, (referring to David) “I don’t know who he is, I have never heard of him.” Her comment made me chuckle and grab my laptop. I thought about the list of names Oprah spouted out to David to help him realize how iconic his name was. They were names like Elvis, Madonna and of course Michael Jackson. I began to think to myself, “What’s in a name?” I wonder how many of us have even taken the time to find out what our name means. I personally know that my name Regina is defined as “queenly,” and I can’t say I am mad at that. Normally at the end of my productions my name is called and people may applaud or even cheer, when they do I try humbly to accept their love. But just knowing my name “Regina Wells” will do you no good when it comes to your salvation. You see there is but one name that matters when it comes to eternal life. That name is not David Copperfield. Philippians 2:9-10 says “Therefore God also has highly exalted Him and given Him the name which is above every name. That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of those in heaven, and of those of earth, and of those under the Earth. Enough said.
Think about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment