Monday, July 9, 2012

"Powerful Hands"

One night while lying on the bed playing “tickle” with my three year old daughter, I raised my hand high and she placed her hand in mine. As we stared at our hands she said “Mommy, your hand is big and mine is little.” I began thinking about what my hands mean to my child. For her my hands are powerful. They have held, clothed and fed her. Not only that but she’s old enough to know that my hands protect as well as discipline her. She has found comfort in my hands and they have also taught her. They will continue to teach and train her for years to come. She trusts my hands without second thought, to hold her up as I carry her and to catch her if I toss her up into the air. A while back we went to the water park together and she and I played on the water slide. Since she’s not quite three feet tall, I stood below the slide to catch her as she slid down. At first she was nervous but after a time or two, she knew I would catch her. Around the fourth or fifth time she came down the slide faster than I expected and she slipped right through my hands into the water. She sank down near my feet quickly. As quickly as she sank my hands went into action! They reached down into the water to retrieve her. I pulled her up and wiped her face, comforting her and apologizing to her for letting her slip under water. I asked her if she would forgive me and she said “I forgive you, just don’t do it again.”

Now this makes me think about the most powerful hands there are…the hands of God. God’s hands created, hold, and still control the world. His hands never let us slip or fall and if we do make a mistake He is always there to pick us back up and help us go on. His hands can hold all our sorrows and pains. His hands can comfort us like no one else can not even our mother. The last part of Job 5:18 says “His hands make whole,” and how true that is. The key to receiving the power in His hands is faith! We must believe in His powerful hands knowing that in them is everything we will ever need.
Think about it!

No comments:

Post a Comment