Friday, July 25, 2014

Let's take a Selfie!"

You would have to be living under a rock in this day and time to have never heard of a “selfie”. According to research millions are shared each and every day across all the major social media platforms. It is a phenomenon of our generation. I take selfies and I’m sure most of you reading this article do as well. When it comes to social media, I consider my pages on FACEBOOK and TWITTER to be we…a reflection of me. I mean it bears my name therefore; it should bear my character, right? Without being too deep…shouldn’t we be careful concerning the things we post, type, tag and “like?” Recently my Pastor brought the message, “The connection between the heart and the mouth.” It was a simple yet profound word on how the things in our heart, will eventually come out of our mouths and affect us in many ways, spiritually as well as naturally and even physically. Don’t believe me? Have you ever seen a news report of someone who had hate in their heart for someone else, and when that hate come out of their mouths tragic things took place? He explained to us how the heart is really the place we make our decisions. When people take and post selfies in my opinion they just want to share something about themselves or how they are feeling, with others they are connected to. Like it or not, there is a big connection between the heart and one’s FACEBOOK page. So…what about doing a “spiritual selfie?” Often times we go about our daily lives without taking self-evaluations. A selfie is just a picture of someone, a depiction or reflection of them in other words. Ask yourself questions like what am I reflecting or depicting today? What are people seeing when they look at me? Some may say these things are not important but I beg to differ. As Christians the way we carry ourselves, the things we say and even the things we post or “like” can tell others quite a different story about us that we intend. Not only that but we must be concerned with what God sees when He checks out the “selfie of our hearts.” I Samuel 16:7 says in part, “For the Lord does not see as man see; for man looks at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart.” The thoughts looming in our hearts matter a great deal to God. Psalms 51:10 says Create in me a clean heart, O God; and renew a right spirit within me.” So let us all take the time to take a “spiritual selfie”. Look deep inside your heart and evaluate what God sees when you post that picture into the atmosphere. Think about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment