Monday, May 6, 2013

Disconnected


Did you know that over 200,000,000,000 text messages are received in America? That’s 200 billion every single day, which is more than one year’s worth of regular mail! Twenty-nine percent of Americans admit that their cell phone is the first thing they look at in the morning and the last thing they look at before going to sleep at night. Sixty-six percent of working Americans admit that they will remember to take their cell phone to work before they remember their lunch! Sixty-one percent of Americans admit to using their cell phone while watching TV and 39% say they use their phones WHILE playing with their children.
Don’t be shocked! I guarantee that anyone reading this article has a cell phone in their possession right now; if it is not in your hand, I’m sure it’s only an arm’s-length away. And I’m not knocking it. I myself have a cell phone, as does everyone in my household including my four year old, only her phone doesn’t work.  But you can’t tell because she uses it quite frequently having very lengthy and detailed conversations. J
Recently I dropped my cell phone in the toilet! If this has ever happened to you, I don’t have to tell you the immediate feeling of dread that came over me as my phone floated towards the bottom of the toilet. Luckily the water was clean and I reached in and grabbed the phone seconds after it entered the water. I took the phone apart and hurriedly began drying it out and praying that it could be salvaged because it was pretty much brand new.
You guys know how I am; I started goggling solutions to save my phone. And YES, I tried the rice trick. For one entire day, I had to willingly leave my phone at home in a bowl of rice hoping it would be ready to go when I returned. This entire incident made me think; I felt so disconnected from the world without my phone that day. It’s like a life-line; I keep it with me at all times so I can be reached and communicate when I need to.
Think back. Do you remember when there were no cell phones? What did we do? Hard to fathom now isn’t it? Now let’s think about the real life-line we have in Jesus Christ. He’s always there. But is He the first thing on our minds in the morning and the last thing we think about before going to bed at night?  When we don’t talk to Him daily, do we feel disconnected? Well we should. Have you ever left home without your cell phone and returned to get it because you felt you had to have it with you? In the same respect have you ever left home without “taking Christ with you” in prayer or in your heart to share or sustain you throughout the day? Communication is very important and even more so when it comes to Christ. He wants us to stay connected to Him. He’s not like a cell phone, He can’t be misplaced or dropped in the toilet, but we do have to remember to take Him with us wherever we go! Think about it! #stayconnected

1 comment: