Monday, March 4, 2013

"Will you Marry me?"




“Will you marry me?” some women dream of hearing these words from their “prince charming,” as little girls. Who am I kidding; some men dream of hearing or saying these words to their long-awaited “queen.” These four words are never taken lightly, or at least they shouldn’t be. It is pretty obvious that our Lord considers marriage a blessed state to be in.
Hebrews 13:4 says in part, “Marriage is honorable among all...” In Genesis 2:18 God said, “It is not good for man to be alone; I will make him a helper comparable to him.” Verse 24 says, “Therefore a man shall leave his father and mother and be joined to his wife, and they shall become one flesh.” These scriptures alone show us the importance God has placed on holy matrimony between man and woman. And though this article is about marriage, it’s not the marriage between man and woman that I want to focus on. Don’t get scared; I firmly believe God created Adam and Eve, not Adam and…well you fill in the blank.
At any rate, it is spiritual marriage that I want to talk about. A marriage is a covenant agreement between two people, and a covenant is quite simply put a promise. I’m sure we have all heard the marital vows, “to love, honor, and obey.” Here is where I want to begin looking at spiritual marriage. Hosea 54:5 says, “For your Master is your husband. The Lord of hosts is His name.” Ephesians 5:25 says, “Husbands love your wives just as Christ loved the church and gave Himself for her.” We all know what “gave Himself for her” means, right? Christ loved the “church”/“us” so much that He gave His life so that we might live eternally. Who could ask for more than that in a husband?
But here is my favorite part of this scenario concerning Christ’s love. His love is not just reserved for the church. His love is not reserved for lowly sinners who have never known or loved Him. Christ’s love is so perfect, it is even available to those who have known and loved him yet turned their backs on Him and His unmerited favor- the backslider. Jeremiah 3:14 in part says, “Return, o backsliding children, says the Lord, “For I am married to you...”
This lets us know that our mighty God loves those He created so much - mankind, that He is willing to not only save those who have left Him, but He is standing at the alter ready to say, “I do.” He says, “I do love you my children.” Consider I John 3:16 which says in part, “By this we know love because He laid down His life for us.” He says, “I do forgive you my children.” Consider I John 1:9 which says, “If we confess our sins, He is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all unrighteousness.” He says, “I do want to marry and I want you to have the best!” Consider III John 1:2 which says, “Beloved, I pray that you may prosper in all things and be in health just as your soul prospers.”
What bride could ask for a better groom than one who loves her with all his heart, wants to protect and prosper her, forgives her when she makes a mistake and finally gives her all of himself. Understand Christ is that bridegroom. And He has already proposed. He did that when He got up on that cross and offered His life for the world. He has already given us His vows written out clearly in the Holy Bible. He has presented us with his part of the covenant to be our Savior, to never leave nor forsake us, and to free us from sin and shame with the promise of eternal life. And now He has one question for you, “Will you marry me?” whether you have never given Him your life or if you have turned your back on Him, He still wants to marry you. He has already said “I do.” Now “do you?”
Think about it!

No comments:

Post a Comment