Thursday, August 23, 2012

Forgiveness like a child!

This summer I went on a much-needed family outing to White Water in Atlanta, Georgia. On the way inside the park my baby girl and her favorite cousin were walking side by side, leading the way as if they had the money for entry. We followed closely behind them as they headed through the parking lot towards the gate. Half way to our destination, my daughter wanted to hold hands with her cousin; however, her cousin didn’t desire to do the same.
The rejection upset my little one, and she immediately replied, “Then I’m not your friend anymore!” She crossed her little-three-year old arms, stuck out her lip, and pouted. As soon as she made her statement, her cousin spoke up, “Then I’m not your friend!” I watched and giggled at the two. My older sister walked up and saw both girls pouting with arms folded and feet stomping. She asked me what was wrong with them and I told her what had happened.
She quickly pulled both girls aside and said, “Hey, don’t do that. You guys are friends. Now apologize and hug.” The girls did as instructed and just like that, as if my sister were Houdini, everything was all good. The pair quickly hugged and grabbed hands; then, I kid you not, they started singing. I shook my head and laughed out loud.
I’m sharing the story because it made me think about the power of forgiveness and how important it is to forgive quickly. What a wonderful world it would be if adults forgave each other as fast as these two children.  Too often adults hold grudges over past hurt. I know individuals right now who haven’t spoken to family members for years because they refuse to forgive them for past indiscretions.    I think many may be forgetting that harboring ill feelings in your heart because you have not forgiven someone is very dangerous to your spiritual well being and can hinder your prayers.  Mark 11:25 says, “And whenever you stand praying, forgive, if you have anything against anyone, so that your Father also who is in heaven may forgive you your trespasses.”  
Matthew 6:14-15 says, “For if you forgive others their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you, but if you do not forgive others their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses.” And Ephesians 4:32 says, “Be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, as God in Christ forgave you.” None of these scriptures gives us a time frame for forgiveness. However, we should live each day like it is our last because we never know when the Lord will return or require our souls. 
Think about it!

1 comment:

  1. This is an awesome depiction of what forgiveness should be like. I think sometimes the "unforgiver" thinks that there is power in holding on to the unforgiveness. I thought of Pharoah while reading the latter part of this, I mean He had no clue that His heart was becoming hard against the God who created Him. And all God was asking for was for Pharaoh to let His people go so that they could worship Him. His heart was hardened because of disobedience and their can be no forgiveness with those elements involved. Those babies were "quickly" obedient which yielded "quick" forgiveness.Gotta lovem'! Great post!

    ReplyDelete